The battle between Martin Garrix and Spinnin’ Records continues. Martin Garrix who left the Dutch label and its management company, Music All-Stars, in last August, in a unamicable split, has released a statement answering the previous one made by Spinnin’ Records. Resume of this turbulent divorce.
Though Spinnin’ Records assured Martin Garrix that they released ownership of his music, he still sued them and his former manager for not only his music, but for “misleading him” into contracts that weren’t in his best interests. Last week, Spinnin’ Records released yet another statement, saying not only would they retain licensing rights until 2017, but that Garrix also owes them for breaching his contract. Their previous agreement would allow MusicAllStars to continue managing him until July 1, 2017 as well as give Spinnin’ Records the exclusive right to release Martin Garrix music until that date.
As expected, Martin Garrix has released a statement of his own in response, stated that their arguments were “one sided” and “incorrect in some respects.” He says that the court is currently deciding whether or not to honor the terms that would immediately end all contracts made between Garrix, Spinnin’, and MAS.
In addition, Martin Garrix argues that it is he who should be compensated, and not his previous managers. On a lighter note, the young DJ wishes his fans a happy new year and adds that he feels freer than ever now that he has control of his own music. Read the full statement below for a complete understanding of what Garrix wanted everyone to understand.
” Dear all,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank my fans for their support and I wish everyone 2016 full of love and great music!
With reference to the statement that Spinnin’ Records’ issued a couple of days ago regarding my termination of the management agreement with MAS and my artist agreement with Spinnin’, I feel the urge to set the record straight on a number of things that are stated.
Spinnin’s statement is – to say the least – one sided and in any case incorrect in some respects.
Don’t be misled: further legal proceedings are initiated by me, not Spinnin’ or MAS, and the main object of those proceedings is to ask the court to confirm that I have rightfully terminated and nullified my agreements with Spinnin and MAS. If the court follows me in this it will be Spinnin and MAS who will have to compensate me and not as they now suggest the other way around.
My lawyers have issued a write on 23 December 2015 and will release a more detailed statement in a few weeks setting out the details of the proceedings and the grounds for the nullification of the agreements with Spinnin and MAS.
For now, I only want to have said that Spinnin’ and MAS’ statement confirms yet again that it was absolutely the right decision for me to end my relationship with them. I really feel freed and relieved that I am as of now the rightful owner of all my music and that I can release it when, where and with whoever I want.
After getting back my music ownership rights under the pressure of the summary proceedings I have granted Spinnin’ a 7 year license on music previously released by Spinnin’, with revised conditions in my favour. This 7 year license is nothing more than a manner to safeguard – without litigation – the availability to all of you of my existing music and the music made by me in collaboration with other artists signed by Spinnin’.
I have a great team supporting me as always and with whom I can start the new year full of trust and confidence, with more new releases for all my fans and supporters.” – Martin Garrix